Embark on an active adventure along the Horn of Africa on this 11-day Lonely Planet Experience powered by Intrepid. Experience life like an Afar nomad, float on one of the world’s saltiest lakes, snorkel in search of whale sharks and travel in a country with incredible cultures but very little tourism. Explore diverse and sometimes surreal scenery. Hike to Lac Assal, summit Ardoukoba Volcano, trek through Foret du Day National Park, relax on the beach at Plage des Sables Blancs and drift to sleep ‘belles etoiles’ (under the stars) at Allouli. Be the first person you know to come home raving about dreamy Djibouti.
- Discover this emerging travel destination before the crowds do. Very few tourists come to Djibouti, which is sure to change as word spreads about its untouched natural wonders.
- Strap on a snorkel and dive into the waters of Arta Beach, where (if you’re lucky) the whale sharks that fill the waters will decide to keep you company during your swim.
- Take an epic hike over the dramatic ravine in Foret du Day National Park to the top of Ardoukoba Volcano, then spend the night camped in a dead forest.
- Spend the night in a traditional Afar hut in the Grand Bara Desert, perched on a hill with spectacular views of the surreal landscape.
- Watch the sunrise over the chimneys, salt flats and hot springs of Lac Abbe, which featured in the 1968 Planet of the Apes film.