Discover the remote reaches of northwest Vietnam and southwest China on a 29-day adventure from Hanoi to Kunming. Leaving the graceful boulevards of Hanoi behind, travel to Sapa before traversing the bumpy mountain roads to Ha Giang and Dong Van, and cruising the waters of Ba Be Lake. Stay in a Hani village amid the colourful Yuanyang rice terraces, learn of Qing and Ming dynasties in Jianshui, hike one of Asia’s finest geological wonders – Tiger Leaping Gorge, break bread with a Bai family and mingle with Tibetan pilgrims in Ganden Sumtseling Monastery. This is the ultimate adventure through the mountains, farms and rice terraces of Asia’s highland havens.
- Float along the lake, viewing magnificent waterfalls and wildlife in the Ba Be National Park. A traditional homestay is the perfect way to access remote parts of this region and to get a real glimpse of Vietnamese life.
- Mrs Mai’s Responsible Tourism project in Dong Van is an eye-opening insight into the world of human trafficking. Learn about the amazing efforts made by an inspirational project to free their country of this crime.
- Explore idyllic Yuangyang on a guided half-day walk, snapping photos of the spectacular rice terrace landscapes and learning a thing or two about their makers, the Hani people.
- Discover the Ming and Qing marvels of Jianshui Ancient Town on a guided walk. Visit Zhu's Family Garden, the Confucius temple and the amazingly preserved Tuanshan village
- In Shaxi, you'll see one of the best-preserved traditional towns in Yunnan. Stay in a friendly, family-run guesthouse and sample some authentic local cuisine
- Experience the legendary Tiger Leaping Gorge, with two days of hiking one of China's most breathtaking trails, and journey to Shangrila to walk among Tibetan pilgrims in Sumtseling Monastery.