Japan is a country steeped in fascinating historic traditions and modern wonders, and this 12-day journey uncovers the highlights. Like the history, the country is varied and diverse – from the ancient once-capital of Kyoto to the wartime reminders in Hiroshima, the beautiful Edo-era city of Takayam to the bustling metropolis of Tokyo. On this small group adventure, you’ll gradually reveal the rich variety of the country as you visit temples, castles, shrines and holy mountains while mixing with locals and experiencing the real Japan. With a knowledgeable leader joining you each step of the way, come on this magical journey and experience all that Japan has to offer.
- Trace the steps of the Geisha around the alleyways of Kyoto’s atmospheric Gion district and visit a Zen Buddhism temple and hear about its practice while sipping green tea.
- There’s no better way to get around Japan than the country’s famous railway system. Be impressed by the efficiency and ultra-modernity as you zip from place to place with your included 7-day Japan Rail Pass.
- A visit to the Hiroshima Peace Park is a sobering but important experience for understanding the tragedies of Japan’s not so distant past.
- Stay in a ryokan hotel with indoor and outdoor onsens, taste regional specialities, explore local markets and perhaps stop by a sake brewery in Edo-era Takayama.
- Marvel at the city lights of Tokyo – one of the most extraordinary capital cities on the planet – with a full-day guided city tour and plenty of time for independent exploration.