Explore the best sights, sounds, cuisine and local communities in Thailand and Laos on a 14-day Lonely Planet Experience, powered by Intrepid. In Thailand, see ancient and modern collide in chaotic Bangkok and be charmed by the highland haven of Chiang Mai. In Laos, revel in the simple traditions that are alive in small cottage industries and villages, and where the leisurely pace of life is contagious. Explore, relax and absorb the distinct atmosphere of these two fascinating countries that sit either side of the mighty Mekong River. With a local leader on hand to show you behind the hotspots, take a journey through these gems in the South East Asian crown.
- Experience a good taste of Thailand with stops in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Nan and Chiang Klang. The South East Asian neighbours work hand in hand, so discover the regional food specialties and the local hospitality.
- This is a no-fuss, no-hurry holiday. Laos is a very relaxed country, and the pace of this trip is the same, with plenty of free time to choose your own options in each destination.
- A slow boat down the Mekong River is one of South East Asia's most classic journeys. You’ll spend a day meandering down the river to Luang Prabang – a relaxing way to discover the region’s natural splendour.
- Participate in workshops run by local artisans, including an indigo dyeing demonstration in Baan Thung Hong Village, and an ancient pottery class in Bo Suak Cultural Place.
- Explore what may be Asia’s most laidback capital, Vientiane, and visit the community organisation COPE – dedicated to supporting victims of the unexploded ordnance scattered across the countryside.