Uncover the legends of Greece – be it mythological history or famed beaches and villages. Circle a peninsula that’s scattered with groves of olives trees and the icons of ancient history – the famous ancient theatre of Epidaurus; the hilltop citadel of Mycenae, linked with the ‘Illiad’ and King Agamemnon; the home of the Oracle of Delphi in Apollo’s sanctuary; Olympia, the site of the first Olympic Games and the Temple of Zeus. From aboard the old-world charm of the M/S Galileo, approach impossibly picturesque villages and ports, then moor to dip into the rich blue waters of the Mediterranean. Not only a means to visit the ancients, your ship is also a haven of retreat. Relax in the indoor lounge and elegant dining room on the ship’s main deck, and take in sea views and fresh air from the sundeck and shady outdoor bar. This adventure cruise is the best way to sail into Greek history.
- The Greek Islands attract hundreds of cruise ships during peak season, but we’re the only ones who offer this mainland circuit. And while The Cyclades may have the edge when it comes to beaches, this itinerary has a much stronger historical focus.
- You’ll have an on-board archaeologist with you throughout the trip. They’re the ones who’ll show you around the hilltop citadel of Mycenae or Zeus’ Temple at Olympia.
- This cruise ticks off classical Greece’s true highlights (Delphi, Corinth, Olympia etc) but also visits some out-of-the-way spots like Katakolon and Gythion.
- Unlike mega liners, which have to moor offshore, The Galileo can dock right in the centre of town. In places like Pylos and the gorgeous Monemvasia, you take one step off the gangplank and you’re surrounded by bars, markets and restaurants. You can hop on and off the boat as you please.
- Your ship, the M/S Galileo, has been recently refurbished in 2016. The interiors are warm and comfortable, and there are three spacious outdoor decks – perfect for reading or catching some sun.