On this nine-day adventure through Spain and Portugal, you’ll dip into Madrid for a tapas dinner, take a trip into Salamanca’s sandstone surrounds and stay in UNESCO World Heritage-listed Douro Valley. After indulging in delicious local wines and soaking in the views of rolling greens, head to the birthplace of port wine and wander through the medieval riverside district, meeting locals and watching the city light up as the sun sets. Enjoy some free time in Coimbra – the official European Region of Gastronomy – and wander its historic university before ending it all in shining Lisbon. Don’t leave without tasting the famous pasteis de nata (the flakiest pastry you’ll ever treat yourself to) and why not – another splash of local wine!
- Journey into the UNESCO World Heritage-listed Douro Valley and indulge in a wine tasting of local wines, served with a delicious lunch of Portuguese specialties.
- Tick Madrid, Salamanca, Porto and Lisbon off your bucket list and spend afternoons wandering around narrow, cobbled streets, colourful architecture with hilltop views and glittering coasts as you wait for nightly sunsets to transform these cities into glittering havens.
- Feast on Spanish and Portuguese cuisine, snacks and local wines with a delicious tapas welcome dinner in Madrid, a port tasting in Porto, a bacalhau dinner in Coimbra and the unmissable pasteis de nata from the best spot in Lisbon – yum!
- Rub shoulders with the locals in the University of Coimbra, famed for its baroque library and historical buildings, during a tour with a local guide who has all the insights.
- Spend a day discovering the history of Tomar – a 12th century town of relaxed streets, verdant gardens and the Castelo de Tomar, a Templar castle just waiting for the curious to explore its ramparts and cloisters.
- By travelling on this trip, you’ll directly support our Intrepid Foundation partner, REFOOD. Donations help them save good food, from restaurants and supermarkets, that is destined to go to waste and distribute it amongst people in need.