Discover European class and grandeur on this Lonely Planet Experience from Madrid to Berlin. Enjoy all things arty – from Madrid’s inspiring Art Walk to Barcelona’s internationally renowned galleries and museums. Be captivated by Cuenca’s Old City, mosey round the markets of Valencia and get lost in the convoluted streets of Barcelona’s gothic quarter. Cruise through France’s canvas-perfect Provence region, stopping to admire Avignon before continuing on to Paris. Taste chocolate and beer in Belgium and Luxembourg, and perhaps learn how to pair the two, discover why Amsterdam captures the hearts of all who visit, and finish in Germany’s fascinating capital – Berlin. Steeped in history and architectural brilliance, this three-week adventure combines sights and cultural experiences that reflect old-world Europe and define modern European culture.
- The Art Walk in Madrid is every art lover's dream. In one small stretch you can browse the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum, the Reina Sofia and the Prado, one of the world's most celebrated galleries.
- Gaudi's modern cathedral, La Sagrada Familia, is like no other building in the world. Still under construction after 130 years, this Gothic masterpiece embodies Barcelona's artistic and progressive heart.
- Explore the medieval Old Town of Cuenca, a city built around deep gorges with many casa colgadas (hanging houses) that spill over the edge of edge of cliffs.
- The beating heart of modern Germany, Berlin is packed with history, arts and culture. The city's poignant memorials serve not just to recognise the past, but to educate new generations into the future.
- Three days in Amsterdam gives you time to see the varied sides of the city, from the sidewalk cafe culture to the leafy parks and master-filled museums.