Travel from Istanbul through the very best of Turkey – Gallipoli, Fethiye, Pamukkale, Antalya, Cappadocia and Mount Nemrut – and discover the people, cultures, cuisine and landscapes that make this country such a treasure. Historically rich with its medieval Ottoman period and chronicle of Gallipoli, and fashionably chic with the cosmopolitan buzz of Istanbul and celebrity getaway of Antalya, Turkey is an unmissable country that overflows with character. Pay your respects in Gallipoli, hike into the Valley of Love in Cappadocia, cruise the south coast on a traditional gulet and understand why Istanbul is considered the centre of the world. Take 18 days with Lonely Planet and Intrepid to get the absolute best out of this intriguing nation.
- Explore the continent-straddling metropolis of Istanbul, and step back in time to when it was Constantinople with the backstreets of the Grand Bazaar and at the Hagia Sophia.
- Reflect on battles fought and lives lost with a moving visit to the Gallipoli Peninsula, a serene stretch of coastline where it's now hard to picture the horrors of war.
- Spend two days exploring the cliffside waterfalls, cobblestone alleyways and ancient ruins of Antalya, a city on the Mediterranean Coast.
- Discover a lesser-seen side of Turkey, taking the backroads from Cappadocia to the Eastern province of Malatya to experience local life and local flavours.
- Enjoy a homestay experience in Kahta, helping out in the fields or the kitchen, cooking with the family and enjoying village life.