Bay of Islands – the name alone conjures up images of sunny days and spectacular scenery, and the real thing does not disappoint. Join a knowledgeable local leader on a five-day adventure through the best bits of this slice of heaven. Explore crystal clear lakes, ancient kauri forests and dazzling waterfalls while learning about the region’s Maori history and fascinating heritage. Swim, snorkel or kayak in the ocean, surf down sand dunes, walk through ancient caves and kick back on a boat. Aside from a group of like-minded travellers, your adventures may also be accompanied by fur seals, penguins, dolphins and whales.
- Chill out in the coastal settlement of Opononi then catch a boat to the Opononi sand dunes, enjoy the peace and quiet of this remote location or surf down the giant dunes.
- Spend a morning uncovering fascinating history in the little seaside town of Russell, New Zealand’s original capital and the first place Europeans settled.
- Experience the natural beauty of the Bay of Islands, from forests of ancient kauri trees and clear blue lakes to mystical waterfalls and caves filled with glow worms.
- Enjoy an afternoon to explore Paihia as you please – learn about New Zealand’s history at the Waitangi Treaty Grounds, go on a cruise in search of dolphins or hit the mountain biking trails.
- Discover the Poor Knights Islands during a full-day boat cruise. Snorkel, swim, kayak or just sit back and relax on deck, watching the “fish cam” to see what’s going on beneath the boat.