King Country in New Zealand is a land of picturesque landscapes, perfectly fit for the noble explorer. So, spend five days in the wilds of the Whanganui on an active adventure deep in the country’s North Island. What follows is a journey through handcut tunnels, past overflowing lavender farms, through ancient fern forests and up fertile rivers to the Valley of Abandoned Dreams. Add some thrill-seeking activities, comfortable lodge-style accommodation and a host of outdoor and culinary inclusions, and you’ve got yourself an action-packed tour of north western New Zealand that’s well past the tourist brochure. It may well be the king – or queen – of them all.
- Learn of a land dubbed the 'Forgotten Kingdom' on a rail cart experience near Taumaranui, passing through handcut brick tunnels to rolling countryside and fields of lavender.
- Get your adrenaline pumping with a fast-paced jet boat ride to the Mangapurua Landing, swapping the thrills for curious tales of the Valley of Abandoned Dreams on a guided hike to the Bridge to Nowhere.
- Canoeing down the Whanganui River without any rush or hurry gives you the power to choose your own pace. You can stop by historic settlements on the way and find the perfect cove for a picnic lunch.
- Soak up spectacular sights and enjoy total tranquillity during your lodge stay at the Bridge to Nowhere, surrounded by the luxuriant bush that makes this slice of New Zealand so special.
- The scenery of New Zealand’s North Island begs for more than just a happy snap. Consider your options to hike through forests and waterfalls in your spare time, and get up close and personal with a leader-led walk at Mt Taranaki.