You’ve heard of the Great Barrier Reef, but what about Great Barrier Island? Lying in the same ocean, but worlds apart in terms of attractions and natural diversity, you’ll have four days to discover this often overlooked section of northern New Zealand wilderness. Explore the island’s golden beaches, spend a day fishing with rod and bait, and watch the night sky come on a guided stargazing experience. Aotea – or Great Barrier Island – is totally off grid and laden with rugged forests and mountains, but so easily accessible from Auckland. Come and see for yourself why the natural wonder and small-town feel of Aotea deserves a small group adventure in itself.
- At night, discover the Dark Sky Reserves of Aotea with a guided stargazing adventure of the galaxies high above. With the waves lapping beside you, this is serenity at its finest.
- Embark on a half-day fishing trip from Tryphena Harbour with lunch included, all in the name of catching your dinner for the rest of the trip! Do you think you’re up to it?
- Interact with local island residents, including museum owner David, who will fill you in on the island’s history and show you through his quirky and hands-on Milk, Honey & Grain Museum.
- With plenty of free time embedded in your short itinerary, you can stroll the nearby waterfront and soak in the laidback island vibes of Great Barrier Island.
- Great Barrier Island is known for its stunning stretches of sand, so take your time in exploring the golden beaches of Medland with your group of likeminded adventurers.