Explore the narrow strip of South Island land sandwiched between the mountains and the Tasman Sea that’s home to some of the country’s most beautiful places. Millions of years of natural history are right in front of you in wild limestone rock formations, powerful glaciers, rushing rivers and surf pounded coast, while the much more recent stories of the gold and coal rush can be found in the heritage settlements and in the resolute spirit of the coasters. Take in highlights from Reefton to Franz Josef, Pancake Rocks to botanical gins, gold panning to spa soaking. This is a coastal road trip to rival any other.
- Get out and see a different side to the South Island, making the most of the wide-open spaces of the rugged and largely unexplored West Coast.
- Go deeper into the history of the area with stories of gold miners, panning for gold, and hiking in the Denniston mining area.
- Help support remote communities with visits (and of course tastings) at local bakeries and distilleries.
- Take in the magic of the spectacular Franz Josef Glacier region during dips in hot pools weaving through rainforests and a walk around the shimmering Lake Matheson.
- Witness the stunning, millions of years old scenery at the dramatic Pancake Rocks and the Hokitika Gorge, and spot fur seals of the Tauranga Bay Colony.