Easter Island’s most famous attraction is the moai statues, enormous head-and-torso blocks carved from the stone of the Rano Raraku volcano. At least 288 moai once stood on massive stone platforms around the perimeter of the island. Another 600 are scattered across the island. At four metres high and weighing more than 80 tons, it’s estimated that between 50 and 150 people were needed to drag them across the countryside.
Independent travel, without the stress. Peregrine’s Independent Experiences are a range of short ‘mini tours’ that you can add to other Experiences or as an extension to a longer tour, to craft your perfect holiday itinerary. Independent Experiences are for 1-3 travellers, come accompanied by a local Peregrine guide and depart daily.
- Take in the faraway feel of one of the world's most remote populated islands
- Ponder the magic and mystery of the moai monoliths that weigh up to 50 tonnes
- Learn about the heritage of the Rapa Nui people, the island's native Polynesians
- Enjoy the warm hospitality of the local people, born from a mix of ancient travellers that arrived here from the Polynesian islands and from South America.
- There is plenty of free time to stroll along Hanga Roa's main strip, sample the delicious local seafood or explore the island by bicycle
- Visit the beautifully located Orongo Ceremonial Village and Ahu Akivi for unparalleled ocean views