Bursting with the colours of pre-Columbian traditions and flanked by volcanic landscapes, Otavalo is an Ecuadorian experience to savour. Journey to Ecuador’s iconic marketplace via the Pan American Highway, where the rural communities of Calderon, Cayambe and Cototachi display their own peculiar cuisine, artistry and textiles. Embark on a train trip from Ibarra to Salinas through supreme Andean scenery before heading back to Quito.
Independent travel, without the stress. Peregrine’s Independent Experiences are a range of short ‘mini tours’ that you can add to other Experiences or as an extension to a longer tour, to craft your perfect holiday itinerary. Independent Experiences are for 1-3 travellers, come accompanied by a local Peregrine guide and depart daily. /experiences
- Get a feel for the magic of Quito - one of the most beautifully located and historically rich and towns in the Americas
- Travel along the legendary Pan American Highway
- Discover the gems of nearby rural communities, from the colourful marzipan figurines of Calderon to the buttery bizcochos of Cayambe
- Visit the Otavalo Market and meet its friendly indigenous merchants with their handwoven textiles and colourful traditional dress
- Set eyes on the extraordinary landscapes of the northern Andes on a scenic train trip from Ibarra to Salinas
- Stay in beautifully preserved colonial-era hacienda