There aren’t too many places in the world that can offer a holiday like Tunisia at the moment. This gorgeous, diverse and friendly Mediterranean destination is now back on the map after the events of 2015. And the best bit is, the whole world is yet to find out about it. With a fraction of the visitors its Arabic and North African neighbours attracts, Tunisia is a place to experience seaside bliss a la Greece, desert landscapes to compete with the likes of Jordan, and history as fascinating as in Egypt or Iran – all in the kind of quietude more common before the internet was a thing. Don’t delay – the time to experience Tunisia is now, while it’s still on the rise.
- Stay among the whitewashed walls of Sidi Bou Said, a gorgeous town perched high on a cliff overlooking the Mediterranean. Explore the café scene and check out the work of local artisans
- Visit the UNESCO site of Dougga, an ancient Roman Berber city and arguably the most magnificent Roman site in Africa.
- Spend the night in Le Kef, an authentic village on the edge of the Atlas mountains with an imposing kasbah sitting high on the top of mountain.
- Make like Luke Skywalker and spend the night in a Troglodyte dwelling in Matmata
- Jump on an optional movie set tour in Tozeur and discover Mos Espa, Jedi Duel & the Star Wars Canyon
- Camp in a ‘field of sand’ on the edge of the Grande Erg Oriental and enjoy the hospitality of local Berbers