Discover the spectacular southern reaches of China on this adventure through its most stunning and diversified natural scenery and ethnic cultures in the unique Yunnan province. Start in Vietnam’s jewel of the north, and delve further into the region’s French heritage over the border, with a stop in Mengzi. Explore Yuanyang, the picture-perfect home of the Hani people, where eye-popping terraced landscapes of hundreds of years old stretch as far as the eye can see. Step back in time among the Qing and Ming dynasty masterpieces in Jianshui, and wander the busy streets of Kunming. Venture into the north of Yunnan province, and stop at the tea horse trail towns of Dai and Shaxi, admire its amazing architecture while being welcomed to our local friend’s home. Join the Tibetan pilgrims at Sumtseling Monastery and learn about the idyllic life on the pasture in Shangrila. Trek the epic Tiger Leaping Gorge with Jinsha River roaring underneath and snow capped Jade Dragon Mountain towering above. This is the ultimate adventure in Yunnan that’s not to be missed!
- Follow the Yunnan-Vietnam railway and visit the one of the oldest train stations on this line at Bisezhai village for a fascinating glimpse into history
- Explore idyllic Yuangyang on a guided half-day walk, snapping photos of the spectacular rice terrace landscapes and learning a thing or two about their makers, the Hani people
- Discover the Ming and Qing marvels of Jianshui Ancient Town on a guided walk. Visit Zhu's Family Garden, the Confucius temple and the amazingly preserved Tuanshan village
- Visit our local Bai friend in Dali and learn about Bai people and their way of life.
- In Shaxi, you'll see one of the best-preserved traditional towns in Yunnan. Stay in a friendly, family-run guesthouse and sample some authentic local cuisine
- Experience the legendary Tiger Leaping Gorge, with two days of hiking one of China's most breathtaking trails.
- Journey to Shangrila and walk among Tibetan pilgrims in Sumtseling Monastery.
- Travel like a local, on public buses and sleeper trains. It's the perfect opportunity to interact with people and take in the charming provincial scenery.
- Kunming is yours for the taking. Enjoy plenty of free time in the liveable, laid-back 'Spring City' to make your own discoveries
- A convenient add-on to your travels in Vietnam should you long for more adventure in China.