The depths of Borneo are laden with rugged wilderness, fascinating sites and seriously welcoming people, so meander your way through the lush countryside on a ten-day tribes and wildlife tour of Sarawak and Sabah. Visit vibrant Kuching, learning the cultural heritage and tasting the regional specialties, and head all the way to the natural wonder of the Kinabatangan River and the waterfront splendour of Sandakan. Throw in some market tours, jungle safari, and a typical homestay experience, and you’ve got a true taste of what Malaysia’s Borneo is really like, and gosh, it’s delightful.
- Stay in a traditional wooden Longhouse in Sarikei, understanding how the locals have lived for decades and appreciating the welcoming hospitality of your hosts.
- Take a heritage walk around the vibrant Kuching, passing by its waterfront sights, and fix your hunger with a Sarawak laksa to finish!
- Visit the gentle giants of the jungle, the orangutan, at a rehabilitation centre in Sepilok. This organisation was set up to help reintroduce these endangered mammals sustainably back into the wild.
- Explore the depths of Borneo’s jungle on a series of safari cruises down the Kinabatangan River, keeping an eye out for macaques, proboscis monkeys, and maybe even the rare pygmy elephant!
- Learn about the confronting war history of this region with a visit to Sandakan’s War Memorial, acknowledging those who dies in the death marches in 1945.