When entering this region of Italy, things can seem a little surreal. The houses are painted in vivid multi-coloured shades, the sea is brighter than the sky and the sun rains down so heavily that everything seems a little technicoloured – welcome to the Cinque Terre. Describing it as a gem of Italy is totally correct, but to be more specific, it would have to be an opal – a play of colours, mainly reflected by the blue of the sea, dotted with gold, pink and green houses. This is a rare jewel that changes with the light of the day, and is best explored on foot, by bike or by kayak to truly understand the natural beauty of this precious treasure.
- Dazzling cliff-side houses and an impossible coastal location make Cinque Terre one of the world's most romantic destinations
- Adventure through the area's most scenic trails on foot and by bike, including parts of the classic coastal route, all under expert local guidance. Take to the water on a kayak trip to secluded beaches
- If you'd rather spend more time relaxing on the beach, there's flexibility in some places to take a train instead of hike
- Enjoy delicious meals overlooking spectacular cliffs, colourful villages and sparkling seas
- Discover a swathe of medieval marvels, such as the castle and churches of Levanto and the Abbey of San Fruttuoso