Go deeper than Stalin’s bunker in the political, religious and military history on an adventure through Russia. Embark on an 11-day small group trip from the majesty of Moscow following the Volga River through to the baroque architecture of Kazan, Ivan the Terrible’s Volga fortress at Sviyazhsk, the USSR’s ‘second capital’ in Samara and to the infamous Volgograd – the location of the Battle of Stalingrad in World War II. With expert local knowledge, hearty Russian and Tatar cuisine and a bucket load of culture, a journey through Russia has never seemed so fascinating.
- Follow the mother of Russian rivers, the Volga, on an immersive and historical adventure of Russia, discovering its hidden gems.
- Come face to face with the ethnic Tatar culture in its capital Kazan, and take a day trip to Sviyazhsk Island – once the fortress of Ivan the Terrible.
- Explore Volgograd, once known as Stalingrad, on a guided historical city tour. It is a sobering experience to hear about World War II’s Battle of Stalingrad, told from a Russian perspective.
- Discover Stalin’s hidden bunker in the USSR’s ‘second capital’ in Samara – a secret underground hideout rediscovered nearly 50 years after being built.
- Experience a unique stay in Russian-style cottages on the banks of the Volga River. You are in for a peaceful night watching this magnificent river flow by.