Get an in-depth insight into the political, religious and military history on an 18-day adventure through western Russia. From the streets of classic Moscow, discover ethnic Tartar culture in Kazan, follow the mighty Volga River downstream, learn the dark history of the Battle of Stalingrad and discover Stalin’s hidden bunker. Gain an insight into contemporary Russian life with local visits in Suzdal and St Petersburg, and as many cathedrals, historic monuments and natural landscapes that you can handle. With plenty of free time to explore Moscow’s Red Square and ornate metro stations as well as St Petersburg’s classic architecture, get a Russian history lesson on this enigmatic small-group adventure.
- Follow the mother of Russian rivers, the Volga, on an immersive and historical adventure of Russia, discovering its hidden gems.
- Come face to face with the ethnic Tatar culture in its capital Kazan, and take a day trip to Sviyazhsk Island – once the fortress of Ivan the Terrible.
- Explore Volgograd, once known as Stalingrad, on a guided historical city tour. It is a sobering experience to hear about World War II’s Battle of Stalingrad, told from a Russian perspective.
- Discover Stalin’s hidden bunker in the USSR’s ‘second capital’ of Samara – a secret underground hideout rediscovered nearly 50 years after being built.
- Discover the secrets of Russia’s oldest kremlin in Novgorod and see the Millennium Monument, which tells the story of over 1000 years of Russian history.