Join us on Norwegian Fjords and Realm of the Polar Bear 22 day Small Ship Cruise aboard Expedition.
Explore the Standing Stones of Stenness on the remote island of Kirkwall.
The rugged coastline of central Norway features some of the world’s most beautiful scenery. Hike up to the famous hole in the mountain, with fantastic views of the region. Keep an eye out for Norway’s mythical trolls. In the afternoon, head to the quaint and picturesque Vega Island, a UNESCO site. Wander the fishing villages, go on a guided nature hike, and appreciate the slow pace of life.
The Lofoten archipelago is an enchanting area of picturesque villages by the sea backed with jagged peaks. Go ashore by Zodiac for a day trip of the area. Start by visiting the Tørrfiskmuseum to learn about traditional work of the islands before visiting Nusfjord, one of Norway’s oldest and best-preserved fishing villages for lunch at a local restaurant. After, stop in Henningsvær for time to see local art or explore the quaint fishing village. In the evening, stay on deck as you cruise into one of Norway’s most famous fjords, the short yet dramatic Trollfjord. Search the cliffs on your continuing quest to spot trolls.
Our wildlife viewing opportunities are enhanced by exploring as many remote areas as possible. Spotting wildlife like the Arctic fox, Svalbard reindeer, and land or sea birds can be difficult, but well worth the effort. Ice and weather conditions permitting we can explore near sea ice, through fjords that lead to glaciers and icebergs, and discover bird nesting colonies, all from the platform of the ship. Alternatively, hop in a Zodiac to explore more closely, or be brought to land to visit historical sites and experience the tundra. We are always on the lookout for wildlife, ranging from endangered and rare polar species to sea mammals and birds. And, of course, we’ll have our eyes peeled for polar bears – they can be found all throughout this region, but finding them can require patience and persistence. Come join us in the search!
• Wander through fishing villages and appreciate the slow pace of life
• Search cliffs for trolls
• Enjoy some of the world’s most beautiful scenery along Norway’s rugged coastline
• Sail past mist-shrouded Bjørnøya — a bird watcher’s paradise featuring spectacular views
• Spend time on deck searching for polar bears and whales
• Cruise through breathtaking fjords and admire massive glaciers, experience the midnight sun
• Learn about Arctic history and ecology from our expert guides
• Brave the Arctic waters and take the polar plunge
• Enjoy the silence of the Arctic tundra