As Maori legend goes, New Zealand’s North Island was heaved out of the ocean by the demigod Maori on a fishing trip, then his brothers carved out pieces of their giant catch, creating the peaks, rivers and valleys that make up the island today. Discover this rugged landscape with a rich cultural history on an in-depth 14-day adventure. Soak up sun in the Bay of Islands’, walk through Coromandel Forest Park, sink into hot pools in Rotorua, marvel at the massive Lake Taupo, explore the varied landscapes of Tongariro National Park and sip local wine in Napier. Travel with a local leader and discover New Zealand’s beauty beyond the obvious.
- Experience the natural beauty of the Bay of Islands, from forests of ancient kauri trees and clear blue lakes to mystical waterfalls and caves filled with glow worms.
- Discover the Poor Knights Islands during a full-day boat cruise. Snorkel, swim, kayak or just sit back and relax on deck, watching the “fish cam” to see what’s going on beneath the boat.
- Come face to face with unforgettable natural wonders during a day in Tongariro National Park, where you can hike, mountain bike or soar overhead in New Zealand’s largest gondola.
- Discover the famous sulphur hot pools of Rotorua, then sit down to a dinner you won’t forget – a traditional Maori hangi meal cooked underground with hot stones.
- Taste the best of Napier during visits to three local wineries; sip fantastic local wines accompanied with regional food platters and soak in beautiful views while you’re at it.