No, your eyes are not deceiving you – the South Island is just that picturesque. Spend a week hiking, biking and soaking in some of New Zealand’s most rugged mountain ranges, most stunning turquoise lakes and most revered forest wilderness. From Christchurch, head high in the Canterbury Plains for a hike up Mt Somers, take a scenic ride on the famed Alps 2 Ocean Cycle Trail, discover Aoraki (Mt Cook) with two nights nestled in the mountains and soak in Mt Aspiring National Park. With so many activities planned, plus a host of comfortable and central lodge-style accommodations, this is an active exploration of some of New Zealand’s most splendid landscapes.
- You’ll get a real ‘Middle Earth’ feel on your hike along Mt Somers’ volcanic range. With stunning rocky tors and a deep canyon, this mountain system sits distinctly above the Canterbury Plains.
- Soak in all of the natural vistas of lakes Tekapo and Pukaki as you traverse through Mackenzie Country on your way to Aoraki (Mt Cook). Be sure to reserve a window seat for this drive!
- Discover more of Aoraki (Mt Cook) National Park on separate hikes along the Hooker Valley and Sealy Tarns. You’ll have plenty of time to appreciate vistas of Hooker and Mueller glaciers, Mt Sefton and The Footstool.
- Ride a section of the impressive Alps 2 Ocean Cycle Trail, pedalling off from Twizel and admiring the pristine nature along the purpose-built cycle trail towards Lake Ohau.
- The resort towns of Wanaka and Queenstown were made for exploring. Your local leader will have all of the insights and local know-how on where to go and what to do, with time to explore at your own pace.