Prepare for a unique Central American adventure from Mexico to Guatemala, packed full of vibrant cities, breathtaking ruins of Maya, Aztec and Zapotec origins, idyllic beaches and pure natural beauty. Journey from the madness of Mexico City through the Yucatan Peninsula and to the colour of colonial Guatemala. Discover the fiery flavours of Oaxaca, admire the lush Palenque archaeological zone, swim in the turquoise waters off the coast of Belize in Caye Caulker and marvel at volcano-rimmed Antigua. Join Lonely Planet and Intrepid as we discover places of astounding beauty, visit vibrant and colourful cities, explore ancient ruins and uncover hidden gems along the way.
- Eat your way through arty Oaxaca at its many market vendors and authentic restaurants – mole poblano and mezcal for dinner? Delicioso!
- Chichen Itza is one the New Seven Wonders of the World. It's not hard to see why – strolling around the ancient Maya ruins feels pretty wondrous.
- Caribbean Caye Caulker is a dreamy place to spend two days with no plans. Munch barbecue lobster? Snorkel in coral reef? Nap under a palm tree? It’s up to you.
- Get to know contemporary Maya life during a homestay in San Jorge La Laguna, a lakeside village where you can share meals and conversation with a local family.
- Wander between stalls of rainbow-coloured handicrafts, fruits and flowers and get some haggling tips from your leader in Chichicastenango Market.