Explore colourful worlds – both on land and underwater – on an vibrant Lonely Planet Experience from the sunny beaches of Mexico through jungle and Caribbean coastline to the volcanic mountains of Costa Rica. This 33-day tour hits Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica, snaking through all the best spots and introducing you to local haunts as well as traveller hotspots. Discover a diverse marine playground in Caye Caulker, walk through the steamy cloud forests in Monteverde and visit the famous Tikal pyramids, arguably the most stunning of Guatemala’s ruins. Learn ancient Maya secrets and pass through jaw-dropping scenery on this Central American adventure.
- Get to know contemporary Maya life during a homestay in San Jorge La Laguna, a lakeside village where you can share meals and conversation with a local family.
- Caribbean Caye Caulker is a dreamy place to spend two days with no plans. Munch barbecue lobster? Snorkel in coral reef? Nap under a palm tree? It’s up to you.
- Cruise up the Rio Dulce to your waterfront jungle lodge, then maybe grab a beer and relax while the sounds of nature fill the air.
- Quaint Suchitoto is a contemporary arts hub with a colonial facade. Explore the flower-studded balconies, galleries housed in 19th-century buildings and a lake teeming with thousands of local birds.
- Hike, cycle or zip-line through the steamy cloud forests of Monteverde – there’s so many ways to experience the lush canopies and unique Central American wildlife.