The United States may be known for the glamour of the big cities, but what about everything in between? Take a 12-day Lonely Planet Experience through the best of California, Arizona, Nevada and Utah, experiencing rugged desert landscapes, learning about first nation’s culture, and diving deep into some of its acclaimed national parks. See the bizarre flora of Joshua Tree, plummeting ridges of the Grand Canyon, hidden gardens of Zion, inspired desert scenery of Moab and majestic spires of Bryce Canyon with a likeminded group of adventurers. Setting off from Los Angeles and taking in the lights of Las Vegas, this jam-packed road trip is just the way to get straight into the action of a USA worth exploring.
- Hike through beautiful Joshua Tree National Park among the park's desert cactus gardens and unusual rock formations, before hitting the road on Route 66.
- The Grand Canyon National Park takes time to discover – you'll spend two nights in the park, unlike on most trips, so there's a full day to explore properly and see the mighty canyon up close.
- As well as the famous must-see attractions on this trip, visit some lesser-known but no less spectacular points, such as Capitol Reef and Arches national parks.
- Camp beneath rock formations and sleep under the starry night sky in Zion National Park.
- Learn about Navajo culture and history during an included Jeep tour of Monument Valley, where the landscape is as surreal as it is beautiful, before spending a night in a traditional hogan hut.