Follow in the footsteps of Charles Darwin on this wildlife-filled Lonely Planet Experience through nature’s playground. Snorkel with sea lions, get up close to giant tortoises, scale a volcanic crater and discover the incredible evolutionary history of the Galapagos Islands, all under the guidance of an expert naturalist guide. With accommodation on Isla San Cristobal, Isla Santa Cruz and Isla Isabela, this trip is perfect for people who don’t want to tour the islands on a cruise. Included activities are both educational and immersive, while still allowing you plenty of free time to relax or get active at your own pace.
- Snorkel in Tijeretas and keep an eye out for eagle rays, Galapagos sea turtles, sea lions and plenty of colourful fish.
- Scale a volcano on Isla Isabela, a 17-kilometre hike that rewards you with epic views across the island plus the possibility of sighting the rare, red-feathered vermilion flycatcher.
- Head to the highlands of Isla Santa Cruz to see giant tortoises munching grass, walking slowly and chilling in their natural habitat.
- You have the option to tailor your experience with unforgettable optional excursions like nature hikes, boat trips and scuba diving.
- Learn about Galapagos’ natural and exploratory history with a visit to the Charles Darwin Research Station and learn about conservation efforts to preserve their ecosystems.