Journey through the heart of East Africa and be amazed by the astounding diversity of landscapes – verdant highlands, steamy rainforests, beaches and grasslands – home to some of the planet’s most amazing wildlife. Get closer to nature than you ever imagined in the parks of Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and Zanzibar, and embark on game drives in search of the Big Five, plus the rare mountain gorilla deep in the rainforest. Along the way, meet with local village communities, spend time relaxing on the idyllic shores of Zanzibar, and learn more about the enduring cultures this region is known for. Experience the wonder of East Africa in 27 unforgettable days with Lonely Planet and Intrepid.
- Take a trek through Uganda's steamy forests to seek out acclaimed mountain gorillas, getting the rare chance to spend an unforgettable hour in their presence.
- Head out on an early evening game drive in Lake Nakuru National Park, well known for its rhino population, and explore the plains of the Serengeti in search of lions, leopards, elephants and giraffes.
- Spend a few days at your own pace in Jinja, which can be either a relaxing riverside retreat or an adrenaline-pumping adventure capital, depending on your style of travel!
- Meet with Maasai communities – known for their vibrant red dress and elaborate jewellery – and gain an insight into the culture and ancient ways of this proud East African community.
- Embark on a hike through the Usambara Mountains to the Irente viewpoint, then stop at a farm on the way back for a picnic lunch.