Spend 42 days travelling through the iconic vistas of East Africa on a Lonely Planet Experience, powered by Intrepid Travel. Seek out the rare mountain gorilla in Rwanda’s steamy jungle, enjoy thrill-packed safaris through lush forest and open savanna and finish in Victoria Falls. Be welcomed into small villages in Tanzania and Malawi, relax on sandy beaches in Zanzibar and track the Big Five in the Ngorongoro Crater and Serengeti National Park. This overland adventure is a mix of locally-guided excursions and free time to follow your heart (and your Lonely Planet app) to the stuff you want to see.
- Gorilla permits included! Seek out the rare mountain gorilla on a trek through Uganda’s steamy forests and spend an unforgettable hour in their presence.
- Take two game drives through the Masai Mara National Reserve, looking for lions, zebras and wildebeest crossing the iconic plains.
- Go looking for rare black rhinos on a safari in Ngorongoro Crater, a 20-kilometre-wide crater that around 25,000 wild animals call home.
- Spend a night camping in Mto wa Mbu, a multicultural Tanzanian village where you can grab dinner with some locals and shop for crafts.
- Discover the largest ruins in sub-Saharan Africa – Great Zimbabwe. A World Heritage site, the ruined city was first constructed in the 11th century.