Explore the heart of Mexico’s Aztec, Zapotec, Maya and Spanish cultures on this 15-day Lonely Planet Experience, powered by Intrepid. Discover ruins, visit pueblos and meet wonderful people on a tour that covers all the basics so you can get to exploring. Enjoy the relaxed shores of the Yucatan Peninsula, unravel the magnificent mystery of the ancient civilisations in Chichen Itza and immerse yourself in pre-Hispanic culture in San Cristobal de las Casas. With plenty of opportunities for swimming, snorkelling and hiking, this is the ideal introduction to one of Central America’s most colourful and exciting destinations.
- You've never seen true colour until you've been to a Mexican market. Practice your bargaining skills, snap some photos and pick up traditional handicrafts at the markets in Mexico City and Puebla.
- Eat your way through arty Oaxaca at its many market vendors and authentic restaurants – mole poblano and mezcal for dinner? Delicioso!
- Escape the Mexican heat in the highlands of San Cristobal de las Casas. This town is surrounded by indigenous villages where traditional customs and roots are thriving.
- Chichen Itza is one the New Seven Wonders of the World. It's not hard to see why – strolling around the ancient Maya ruins feels pretty wondrous.
- Cool off with a swim in the waters of Agua Azul, a series of waterfalls named for their stunning blue colour.