Imagine snow-capped mountains, cities that rise gleaming from the desert, epic canyons and massive blue-tiled mosques that match the colour of deep alpine lakes. Then imagine the once legendary stories of silk road all come to life here. On this journey through Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan you’ll discover the beauty, history and overwhelming hospitality of Central Asia. From lakeside yurt to homestay, this tour immerses you in local life and reveals the best and brightest of the ancient Silk Road.
- Not many travellers have places like Bishkek on their list – their loss! To crack the ancient Silk Road, you’ve got to leave the tourist trail in the rear-view mirror.
- See the curious residue of severe Soviet-era architecture in Tashkent, where even the metro stations are fitted out with chandeliers and marble arches.
- Grab a beer with the locals in the restaurant car of the overnight train to Almaty, watching the vast steppe glide past from the window.
- Get a taste of nomadic life when you spend the evening in a yurt camp on the edge of the world’s second-largest alpine lake in the world, Issyk-Kul.
- Feel your jaw drop when you see the massive mosques, mausoleums and minarets of Samarkand, many of which feature finely detailed mosaics.