Sri Lanka is jam-packed with ancient sites, fascinating cultures, beautiful wilderness and idyllic beaches and this eight-day Lonely Planet Experience will introduce you to the most memorable. Visit the Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic in Kandy, climb Lion Rock at Sigiriya, and explore the monkey-filled mangrove forests of Unawatuna. We’ve sorted the nitty gritty so you can focus on soaking up Sri Lanka at your own pace, with plenty of optional activities and the guidance of your local leader to help you out when you’re not sure where to start. Are you an independent traveller who wants to explore Sri Lanka with like-minded people and a local? This is your trip.
- Check out the awe-inspiring Sigiriya (Lion Rock), a 200-metre-high ancient rock fortress that lies smack-bang in the middle of evergreen jungle.
- Wander through the golden-roofed Temple of the Sacred Tooth in Kandy, which houses one of Sri Lanka’s most important Buddhist relics – a tooth of the Buddha.
- Spend two whole days on the gorgeous beach of Unawatuna, where you can either get active in the surrounding jungle or chill with a cocktail while lying under a palm tree.
- This tour has the option of a 4WD safari through a park known for its wild elephant population. Seeing these big beauties in the flesh is unforgettable.
- With Lonely Planet Experiences you get local knowledge, decades of on-the-ground operational experience and the freedom and independence to explore at your own pace.