Leave behind crowded Bangkok and head into parts of Thailand that lots of travellers never see. By the time they’re up and ready to shake off last night’s hangover, you’ll be on your way to Doi Inthanont National Park, where you will find Hilltribe villages, waterfalls and jungle. From there, it just keeps getting better. Sure, you’ll see the vaunted beaches of Koh Samui and Ao Nang, but you’ll also spend a night in a rafthouse in Khao Sok National Park and partake in a Muay Thai Class in Chiang Mai. Now THIS is Thailand.
- Feel like one of the locals on an overnight train from Chiang Mai to Bangkok. Grab some snacks from the on-board vendors, utilise your phrase book and embrace this unique journey.
- Obsessed with the Tom Yam Goong at your local Thai joint? Imagine how much better it would be in Thailand, on a beach, with a cocktail, at sunset. Nice, eh?
- Koh Samui is a slice of paradise. Cruise the island, go chasing waterfalls and feel peachy on the beach before carving up the dance floor in one of Koh Samui's famous bars.
- Kick back for a few days in Ao Nang. Plenty of free time to take up optional activities like, cook some food in a Thai cooking class, cook yourself in some hot springs or paddle to a hidden lagoon on Koh Hong island.
- Need more reasons? Here are 7 more why we love it: intrepidtravel.com/adventures/southern-thailand/