Strategically positioned along the Silk Route, the cities of Samarkand, Bukhara and Khiva were famed trading centres for the caravans that passed this way in ancient times. On this Overland trip we follow in their footsteps, discovering magnificent architecture and bustling bazaars that have changed little since the rule of Tamerlane. We’ll stay with nomads in the Turkmenistan’s desert, explore the imposing Oxus Valley, tour the wonders of Samarkand and head into the markets of Ashgabat to practice our bargaining skills.
- Pick up souvenirs in the bazaars of Tashkent
- Experience the romance of the Silk Road in Samarkand
- Spend a memorable night sleeping in a yurt
- Walk through Bukhara's historic Old Town
- Gaze up at the ancient walls surrounding Khiva
- Discover the futuristic architecture of Ashgabat
- Learn about Tamerlane’s dynasty