Hold onto your Sombrero Pintao as you embark on a nine-day adventure through the pearls of Panama. Start in the lively capital of Panama City and see how past and present merge, then head upriver to visit the Indigenous Embera people. Spend a morning learning about their sustainable way of life and village traditions, before travelling west to the artisan hubs of Penonome and Chitre. Sample favourites from Panamanian cuisine and visit workshops and museums that highlight local pottery and the real Panama hat. Finish your journey back in the capital with a cruise along the Panama Canal and toast to an incredible adventure.
- Make an unforgettable visit to the Embera people – an Indigenous community who will welcome you with song and dance. Share a meal with the locals that showcases how they live in harmony with the environment.
- Cruise along one of humanity’s greatest engineering marvels on a tour of the Panama Canal. Learn how the waterway was crafted and the process used to raise or lower the ships that pass through it.
- Sample local Panamanian delicacies during a cooking demonstration in Penonome. Your host will talk you through all the tips and tricks needed to make favourites like Panamanian tortillas.
- Learn about crafting a real Panama hat, also known as a Sombrero Pintao from a local maker in the town where they originated.
- Visit a mask workshop in the city of Chitre, where these intricately detailed costumes are used to represent the devil in a range of religious and traditional festivals.
- By travelling on this trip, you’ll directly support our Intrepid Foundation partner, Eden Reforestation Projects. Donations help them provide local employment opportunities and tackle climate change one tree at a time as they restore forests across 10 different countries.