How long does it take to fall in love? In a country where history spills from the world-class museums and on to the streets, where tiny osterias serve up life-changing pasta and sumptuous architecture sits on canals and perched on cliffs, we think eight days can easily do the trick. Discover the best of Italy on this Lonely Planet Experience. Begin among the canals of Venice, hike through the charming Cinque Terre, soak up beauty and history in Florence and wind up in the piazzas of Rome. With plenty of free time for independent exploration and the freedom to discover Italy’s history and culture at your own pace, there’s no better way to see this wonderful pocket of Europe.
- Explore rocky coastal pathways and pastel-coloured villages with a Cinque Terre day pass, which allows you to hike at your leisure and use the coast's public transport.
- Get lost in the floating city of Venice and wander the city's maze of alleyways, canals and lagoon islands, and choose whether to enjoy an optional gondola ride.
- Spend two days in Florence, a city known for its beauty and rustic Tuscan cuisine, and choose to discover the cities culinary traditions on optional food excursions.
- Squid ink spaghetti, rich Tuscan soups, a slice of pizza eaten while you gaze on centuries-old architecture – the food culture in Italy is intoxicating.
- Discover the landmarks of Rome with your leader and wander around the Colosseum, Arch of Constantine, the Forum, the Pantheon, the Spanish Steps, Via Dei Condotti.