Join an Intrepid Retreats experience for a different type of urban escape. Base yourself in a historic heart of the city and look over the surrounding churches, museums, and medieval merchant houses. Head to the nearby fishing town of Matosinhos, where the sun brings sands scattered with surfers and sunbathers, and feast on a traditional seafood lunch. Spend an evening with the sounds of Fado and the aromas of port drifting around you, and visit the small vineyards that cling to the terraced cliffs of the Douro Valley.
- Soak up the sights and sounds of seaside Matosinhos and tuck into a traditional lunch of grilled sardines caught and cooked straight from the Atlantic.
- Let the emotion of Portugal’s soul music wash over you during an intimate Fado performance in a small local theatre in Porto.
- Get a true taste for the region with a host-led sampling session of the city’s signature fortified wine after exploring Porto’s narrow lanes and charming buildings.
- Navigate curved cliffs dotted with terraced vineyards with a day trip to the Douro Valley, washing down a traditional lunch with the reds of small wineries.
- Make the most of the comfort and convenience of your unpack-once, historic centre accommodation in Porto.