Challenge yourself to a journey from pretty Porto to the historic Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela on an 11-day alternative coastal Camino trail. This Portuguese Camino trail passes through coastal Baiona, Vigo and Redondela, and joins the pilgrim route onwards to Pontevedra, Caldas de Reis, Padron, and finishing in Santiago de Compostela. You’ll embark on a journey through the countryside in mostly north-western Spain, retracing the ‘Way of Saint James’, trekking past the Bay of Vigo, visiting old churches and quaint villages. As one of the three most important Christian pilgrimages, you’ll take part in a powerful journey through some idyllic landscapes and via some beautiful towns.
- Journey this mostly coastal walk to Santiago de Compostela – a lesser-known trail with fewer pilgrims along the way.
- Feast on some of the best Spanish seafood and Albarino wine in Arcade, on a substantial lunch stop on the way to Pontevedra.
- Trek a fair distance each day, but be able to relax along the way, with dedicated rest days in seaside Vigo and inland Caldas de Reis.
- Visit one of the bodegas (wineries) in the region of Caldas de Rei and have the opportunity to soak in the renowned hot springs in the area.
- Explore the marvels of Saint James’s resting place at the Cathedral de Santiago and the medieval old town surrounding as a reward for conquering this journey