Discover the hidden and the unexpected on this 20-day tour of Romania, Moldova and Ukraine. From the breakaway republic of Transnistria – where Soviet values persist – to the eerie wastelands of the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone, this itinerary showcases some of the least-visited and most rewarding sights in Europe. Go beyond images of stark buildings and stone-faced people and discover whimsical palaces set in picturesque hillside, share songs and stories with welcoming families and feast on borscht, chicken Kiev, pierogis and Moldovan wines.
- Encounter the isolated communities that live along the Danube Delta, many of whom have no road access and survive on traditional activities like fishing, during a full-day boat trip on the river.
- Become one of the few travellers to visit Transnistria, a breakaway republic in eastern Moldova where Soviet values are still upheld, and locals continue their fight for independence
- Explore Ukraine’s Chernobyl Exclusion Zone on a guided tour, wandering the eerie streets of Pripyat that have lay abandoned since the 1986 nuclear disaster.
- Discover lively mountain hospitality during a two-night stay in the hills of the Carpathians – a proud Ukrainian mama will even teach you to cook some local specialties.
- Sip Moldovan wines while you tour some of the 200 kilometres of underground passages that make up the world’s largest wine cellar in Milestii Mici.