Take the time to slow down, explore, and get to know the Otago region with this three-day Intrepid Retreat: Urban List Editor’s Pick experience in Wanaka. With the insider knowledge of a local host at your fingertips, walk the heritage-filled streets of gold rush Arrowtown, understand why the region is the adventure capital of the world, and taste local flavours at a distillery and winery. Take in the spectacular cinematic backdrop with walks up Mt Iron, a visit to a secluded Lake Wanaka island, and ride a short section of the Otago Rail Trail.
- Urban List editors say: "This dreamy corner of New Zealand’s South Island has to be seen to be believed – it’s straight-up stunning with unrivalled natural beauty. You’ll lose track of time in Arrowtown, a village that looks like it’s been ripped from an old Western film set. It’s magic."
- Take the chance to jump at the original home of the Bungy, Kawarau Bridge, or simply make the most of the beautiful surrounds.
- Sample the flavours of Otago with tastings at a local distillery and a winery where you will meet the winemaker and learn the local craft.
- Enjoy the special experience of visiting a lake within an island in a lake on an island, dipping into the clear waters and soaking in the scenery and the silence.
- Cycle a section of the spectacular Central Otago Rail Trail, the oldest rail trail in the country, and return to historical Clyde on a trail next to the Clutha River.
- Stay in a welcoming, character-filled, family-run lodge. Stylish yet comfortable Alpine-style rooms and personal service make this a memorable stay.