The history of Mexico is one that spans over three millennia, with a complex system of civilisations dominating the land for more than 13,000 years prior to Spanish colonisation in the 16th century. This 12-day Central Mexico adventure will take you to a place where history and modern life collide, a place where Aztec temple ruins sit side by side with bustling suburbia, and a place where art, music and traditional culture interweave seamlessly. Explore ruins at Teotihuacan and Tzintzuntzan, discover life in San Miguel de Allende as you travel the countryside, taste traditional sweets in Morelia and visit cathedrals and historical sizes of various colours, shapes and histories. Your Central Mexico tour will take you past the tourists and directly to the heartland of this fascinating country.
- Stand at the foot of the mammoth Pyramid of the Sun at the archaeological site, Teotihuacan – it’s a sight to behold!
- Explore the busy streets of Mexico City on a walking tour of the city, passing through the main Zocalo as well as other sights in its historic centre.
- Spend time exploring the World Heritage-listed cities of Morelia and San Miguel de Allende – places full of colour, culture and cobblestones.
- Take a boat to the island of Janitzio, famous for its friendly fisherman, tightly packed buildings, and towering figure of Mexican hero Jose Maria Morelos at its centre.
- Get the chance to see more butterflies than ever before with an optional visit to the El Rosario Monarch Butterfly Reserve.