There’s times when it’s appropriate to dip a toe in, and there’s times when it’s best to dive in head first. Get ready to jump straight into the action on this Lonely Planet Experience from Lima to Rio, with plenty of time for independent exploring and taking things at your own pace. This trip takes in the very best of the centre of South America – from trekking the Inca Trail to Macchu Pichu to partying in Rio de Janiero. Visit Iguaza Falls, stroll the barrios of Buenos Aires, snap pictures at the incredible Uyuni Salt Flats, look out over the Nazca Lines and explore the histories and cultures of this incredible part of the world at a pace that allows you to do as much as you want.
- Whether you trek the classic Inca Trail, the Inca Quarry Trail or take the scenic train route, the ancient ruins of Machu Picchu are a majestic destination, no matter how you get there.
- The floating islands of Uros on Lake Titicaca are a marvel of concept, construction and history. Take a boat tour on the lake and spend the night with a local family in a traditional island community.
- Salar de Uyuni's desert landscapes are so unique they’re almost extra-terrestrial. Embark on a three-day adventure via 4WD passing cactus islands, train cemeteries and mineral lakes teeming with flamingos.
- Harness your inner gaucho during a three-day stay at a working estancia in Uruguay. Whether it’s getting involved in daily farm chores, working with livestock or simply relaxing, experience a unique way of life and Uruguayan hospitality at its best.
- The mighty Iguazu Falls straddle the border between Argentina and Brazil, and you’ll be able to see it from both sides with your small group.