Head on an action-packed adventure direct to East Africa’s biggest and best. Spend 27 unforgettable days spotting the Big Five in the vast plains of the Serengeti and deep in the Ngorongoro Crater, hiking the lush Usambara Mountains in search of the longest horizons, and lolling about Zanzibar’s pristine beaches, fragrant spice plantations and historic Stone Town. You’ll be accompanied by a crew of a local leader, driver and cook, on hand to offer their recommendations and make your overland journey a whole lot easier. And with a handful of likeminded travellers joining you each step of the way, your Lonely Planet Experience through Kenya, Malawi, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe is sure to be pretty memorable, if you ask us.
- Embark on an unforgettable safari across the floor of the Ngorongoro Crater in an open-roof vehicle with your small group for a chance to see the endangered black rhinoceros in full view.
- Chill out on the northern beaches of Zanzibar enjoying white sand and sparkling blue sea of the Indian Ocean, perhaps taking up the chance to visit the island’s famed spice plantations.
- Discover the magic of South Luangwa National Park on a morning safari game drive. This park is a highly concentrated arena of noble African beasts and exotic wildflowers.
- Get a chance to explore the largest ruins in sub-Saharan Africa – the World Heritage-listed Great Zimbabwe, thought to be the former palace of an ancient monarch.
- Discover the history and heritage of local communities – including the San People – with guided cultural walks and a knowledgeable local leader to provide insights.