Experience the extremes of southern Africa’s landscapes on this Lonely Planet Experience powered by Intrepid. From the thunderous Victoria Falls to cosmopolitan Cape Town, travel down lush waterways in the enigmatic Okavango Delta, cruise past elephants and birds on the Chobe River, climb giant sand dunes in Namibia, camp to the sounds of Africa’s wildlife and spot big cats, rhinos, zebras and antelopes on Etosha National Park’s arid plains. Visit the people who make their homes here, from mokoro polers on the delta to the San people of Namibia. Get ready for this unforgettable tour through a land of contrasts.
- Glide through the lily pad-filled waterways of the Okovango Delta on a mokoro (a small dugout canoe) and escape civilisation with an overnight stay at your island camp.
- Be mesmerised by the staggering force and beauty of Victoria Falls, and experience firsthand why it’s known as the ‘smoke that thunders’ – a natural wonder that must be seen to be believed.
- Choose to take an optional cruise down the Chobe River for the opportunity to get up close (but not too personal!) to cheetahs, crocodiles and the magnificent African elephant.
- Listen to the songs and stories of Namibia’s San people, the oldest inhabitants of southern Africa, and gain an insight into their traditional customs and beliefs.
- Enjoy a full-day game drive in Etosha National Park, home to a wide range of southern Africa's wildlife, including the endangered black rhino.