Follow the coastal trail to Cape Town on an adventurous 14-day Lonely Planet Experience along the Garden Route and Wild Coast of South Africa. Hit up all the region’s hotspots – elephant spotting in Addo Elephant National Park, wine tasting in the Hermanus Wine Region, hiking in the Lesotho Highlands, meeting local Xhosa communities in Cintsa, and wildlife viewing in Tsitsikamma and Bontebok national parks. Get a sprinkling of safaris thrown in with wine tasting and fig farming, creating a whole South African smorgasbord. When will you sample the local delights?
- Whether it’s searching for gentle giants on a game drive through Addo Elephant National Park or hiking past antelope in Bontebok National Park, there’s no shortage of wildlife spotting on this adventure.
- Embark on a half-day guided walk in the mighty Drakensburg Range – one of many spectacular hikes along the Garden Route that you can choose to discover in your free time.
- Rise early with your small group to watch wild meerkats wake and warm in the morning sun, before continuing south to Swellendam – South Africa’s third-oldest town.
- Cruise the classic R320 route – stopping by a couple of wineries for local tastings – en route to South Africa's southernmost point at Cape Agulhus.
- As you tour the Wild Coast, stop by South Africa’s Xhosa community for an afternoon spent with a local guide, learning about enduring customs and cultures in this tribal group.