Engage your mind, body and spirit on this 9-day tour through southern India. Home of Ayurveda, the ancient system of medicine that takes a holistic approach to physical and mental health, and traditional yoga, the practice of connecting bodily postures, mindful breathing, and meditation to achieve greater health and happiness. India has drawn international visitors in search of meaning for decades. We’ve designed this journey for travellers who wish to explore this side of the nation and themselves in the immersive Intrepid style. That means you’ll mingle with local pilgrims at Sri Chamundeswari Temple and dabble in Ayurveda at a jungle guesthouse in the Western Ghats, not seal yourself off in a pricey retreat. Discover the spiritual roots of the physical practice of yoga and meditation, and find a deeper understanding of your body and mind in the process.
- Immerse yourself in Ayurveda training at a family run grassroots retreat nestled between tranquil jungle, undulating hills and streams
- Learn the history of yoga in India from a local guru in Mysore, taking part in asanas (yoga postures), pranayama (breathing exercises), and dhyana (meditation) in a local Ashram
- Wake up with yoga and dynamic stretching, spend the day learning the secrets of Ayurveda, and end your day by the camp fire, star gazing, singing, and storytelling in Wayanad
- Get a hands-on lesson in crafting some southern India’s iconic dishes during an organic vegetarian cooking class in Kochi
- Be entranced by a performance of Kathakali, a vibrant classical form of Hindu dance incorporating choreography, song, acting and fantastical costumes and makeup
- Gain a new understanding of historical and contemporary spiritual practices in Fort Kochi, where the synagogues, mosques and temples lie close together
- Read more about what you can expect on a wellness adventure in India here: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/adventures/wellness-adventure-in-india/