Take a journey across the vast expanses of Central Asia on an expedition through the rugged and remote regions of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan. From the glossy modernity of Nur-Sultan with its futuristic cityscapes, to the spellbinding ancient architecture of Samarkand’s mosques and mausoleums: visit unique cities and distant villages as you cross hundreds of kilometres of epic mountain passes and surreal landscapes – incomparable to anywhere else on earth. While political and military forces have battled over these regions for centuries, life in these isolated areas has changed very little – adding to the allure of this expansive cultural landscape. This is a trip designed for the true adventurer, for those craving escapism, outstanding beauty, unrivalled hospitality and the feeling of complete remoteness.
- Discover the history and architecture of the Silk Road, visiting ancient mausoleums and mosques on guided tours in the cities of Turkistan, Sayram and Otrar.
- Travel alongside locals and admire wild, sweeping vistas on train rides across the Kazakh steppe, then experience the hospitality of Central Asia with five nights spent across Tajikistan's excellent homestay network.
- Surround yourself with the surreal landscapes of the Altyn-Emel National Park, including the mysterious singing sand dunes, then visit Grand Canyon's 'little brother', Charyn Canyon.
- Soaring along the iconic Pamir Highway is an unforgettable experience, especially in fine weather when the mighty peak of Muztag Ata rears its head.
- Witness the much-photographed Registan in Samarkand – one of the true pinnacles of Islamic architecture. Be wowed by the grandeur and beauty of the monuments to iconic figures such as Tamerlane