Portugal’s Rota Vicentina, also known as the Fisherman’s Trail, may not be Europe’s most famous walk, but it’s certainly one of its most spectacular. A world away from the bustle of Lisbon and the sunbathers of the south, you may often find you and your group are the only ones around as you cross the most scenic sections of this ancient coastal path, passing through the sunny Alentejo and Algarve regions. Join a local leader to marvel at jagged cliffs, traverse sand dunes brimming with unique wildlife, relax on heavenly beaches and feast on fresh seafood – the beauty of this corner of Portugal will stay stamped on your memory.
- Follow the most scenic and interesting section of the coastal Fisherman’s Trail, taking in awe-inspiring views of Portugal’s cliffs, beaches and ocean.
- Delight in Portugal’s bountiful coastline and enjoy a fresh seafood lunch in the village of Zambujeira do Mar with ingredients from the local fish market.
- Walk to Capela de Nossa Senhora do Mar, a delightful chapel overlooking the ocean, and enjoy a spectacular sunset you won’t soon forget.
- Take a load off – literally! Your luggage will be transferred between your accommodation each day, meaning you’ll only have to carry a day pack, and your luggage will be waiting at your hotel.
- Rest your legs or keep the momentum going during a day at leisure in Aljezur, a mecca for surfing, hiking, stand up paddleboarding (or chilling on the beach!)
- Hike to Cabo de de Sao Vicente, mainland Europe’s southwesternmost point, as your local leader shares stories of its maritime, Phoenician and Roman past.