Turkey is often cited as the ultimate convergence of east and west – traditional spice bazaars and ornately adorned mosques thrown together with high speed, cross-country trains and bustling cosmopolitan cities.
On this women-only expedition, you’ll discover both the traditional and modern wonders of Turkey through the lives of the women who live here. From the ancient practices of an Ottoman-style hamam to the art of Turkish coffee fortune-telling and even a visit to a Syrian refugee social enterprise, you’ll meet many extraordinary local women and experience what life is like through their eyes.
- Spend an afternoon with female Syrian refugees and hear how they’re rebuilding their lives over lunch and an earring-making workshop.
- Make the perfect cup of Turkish coffee at a family home in Istanbul and learn how to read your fortune in the coffee grounds.
- Spend a day at sea with a female skipper where you’ll visit a sunken city, swim in crystal clear waters and spend the night in an idyllic seaside village.
- Enjoy a traditional meal in a Cappadocian cave home, cooked by a local woman who is changing the face of women in tourism.
- Take part in ‘Gold Day’ in Eskisehir, a local event that’s strictly for women and where all the secret women’s business happens in Turkey.
- Relax in an Ottoman Style hamam and learn about this ancient women’s ritual.