Unplug from everyday routine and head to the beaches and backwaters of southern India on a 16-day Lonely Planet Experience, powered by Intrepid. Explore the lush landscapes, intriguing cultures, bustling bazaars, and incredible cuisine of this region. Jump on and off local transport and go rural through coconut groves and fishing villages, discovering the heart of the subcontinent. See ancient ruins and stunning temples, eat spicy curries, and drink luscious lassis. Join the bustle of city streets and, at the end of it all, unwind on the beautiful beaches of Goa.
- Take the atmosphere of Shimla or Darjeeling, add lush tropical jungle and you have the Western Ghats: a hotspot of thundering waterfalls, tea plantations, spice markets, and echoes of a colonial past.
- Glide through the backwaters of Kerala on a pole boat, going ashore for a village homestay – a beautiful break from hotels and overnight trains and a perfect way to get close to local customs and culture.
- Cross into Kochi – a colonial centre and major port city in India’s southwest. Explore the seaside Fort Kochi area and consider watching a traditional Kathakali dance performance in your free time.
- The word ‘colourful’ gets thrown around a lot when people talk about India, but the gateway towers of Meenakshi Amman Temple truly are a technicolour dream.
- Golden beaches and age-old fishing villages make Goa one of India’s most popular retreats – and a perfect place to consider extending your southern India adventure.